Near Silver Springs in Lyon County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
(On the California Emigrant Trail)
During 1860, Buckland built a large log cabin and married Miss Eliza Prentice. In that same year, Bucklandís Station served as the assembly point for the volunteer units that took part in the Pyramid Lake War. It was during this period that Bucklandís served as a remount station on the famous Pony Express route.
In 1864, Buckland opened a store and dispersed goods to travelers, neighbors, and the soldiers at nearby Fort Churchill. He later constructed the large two-story house, presently located here, from materials obtained at the dismantling of the fort.
Buckland and his family are buried at Fort Churchill.
Erected by State Historic Preservation Office and National Society - Daughters of the American Colonists. (Marker Number 192.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pony Express National Historic Trail marker series.
Location. 39° 17.652′ N, 119° 15.096′ W. Marker is near Silver Springs Click for map. Located where Alt US 95 crosses the Carson River. Marker is in this post office area: Silver Springs NV 89429, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bucklands Station Famous Historical Point (within shouting distance of this marker); Desert Well Station (approx. 7.8 miles away); Wabuska (approx. 11.1 miles away); Lahontan Dam (approx. 15.4 miles away).
Regarding Buckland's Station. Samuel Buckland settled the valley in 1859 and began ranching. His early establishment served as an important way station for pioneer travelers on the Overland Route. It was one of the earliest ranches in the area, supplying emigrants, ranchers, travelers and the soldiers at Fort Churchill. The Overland Stage Company kept horses at the station and the Pony Express stopped here for change of mounts. As Fort Churchill was dismantled, Mr. Buckland salvaged materials from the fort buildings to build the two-story house seen today. The Buckland family lived in the house and rented rooms to travelers.
Buckland Station was acquired by State Parks in 1994. The exterior, and the first floor of the interior, has been renovated since the acquisition. An information kiosk outside Buckland Station
Source: Fort Churchill State Historic Park
Also see . . . Pony Express - Buckland's Station. In March of 1860, Bolivar Roberts made arrangements with Samuel Sanford Buckland to use his "good-sized cabin" as a Pony Express Station. Apparently the rancher declined employment as keeper, for this position was taken by W.C. Marley. The place served as a rider-relay, or home station, until the establishment of Fort Churchill in the summer of 1860. (Submitted on November 18, 2012.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Chris English of Phoenix, Arizona. This page has been viewed 321 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Chris English of Phoenix, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.