Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bladensburg in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Casualties of War

Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail

 
 
Casualties of War Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 13, 2012
1. Casualties of War Marker
Inscription. The Hilleary-Magruder House was likely one of many sites in town where more than 200 British and American soldiers wounded in the Battle of Bladensburg were taken for treatment and convalescence. Built in 1742 by William Hilleary, later the home of a Scottish tobacco merchant, the house was occupied by medical doctors from 1803 to 1863.



"I... paid a hasty visit to the wounded...in their apprehension of the evil treatment from the Americans,...they had done injustice to that people; who were found to possess at least one generous trait...that of behaving kindly and attentively to their prisoners." -- British Lieutenant George Robert Gleig

The British wounded who could travel were carried back to the ships. The seriously wounded were left in American hands.

Makeshift Hospital

Both sides generously treated wounded soldiers. The Ross House (the located across the street) served as a field hospital and was known locally as the "Old Brick Hospital." At least 18 British officers were reportedly treated there.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail marker series.
 
Location. 38° 56.339′ N, 76° 56.266′ W. Marker is in Bladensburg, Maryland

Casualties of War Marker in front of Hilleary-Magruder House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 13, 2012
2. Casualties of War Marker in front of Hilleary-Magruder House
, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Annapolis Road (Maryland Route 450), on the left when traveling west. Click for map. In the front yard of Hilleary-Magruder House. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4703 Annapolis Road, Bladensburg MD 20710, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hilleary-Magruder House (a few steps from this marker); The Market Square & Stone House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bostwick (about 700 feet away); World War II Honor Roll (approx. 0.2 miles away); Peace Cross (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); British Stopover (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Bostwick (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bladensburg.
 
Categories. Colonial EraWar of 1812
 
Old Hospital Bladensburg detail from Casualties of War Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 14, 2012
3. Old Hospital Bladensburg detail from Casualties of War Marker
The Dr. David Ross House was dismantled in 1958 and reconstructed about 10 years later at "Preservation Hill" in Cockeysville Maryland.
Ernest Maier Inc. on the site of the Old Brick Hospital (Ross House) at 4700 Annapolis Road image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 14, 2012
4. Ernest Maier Inc. on the site of the Old Brick Hospital (Ross House) at 4700 Annapolis Road
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 409 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement