Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Davis in Jeff Davis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Jeff Davis County Courthouse

 
 
Jeff Davis County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
1. Jeff Davis County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. Designed by the architectural firm of L. L. Thurman and Co. of Dallas, this building was erected in 1910-1911 and replaced the original 1880 adobe courthouse. This concrete and stone Classical Revival edifice, erected by the Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky, is dominated by a massive portico supported by Doric columns. Other distinctive design elements include the alternating horizontal bands of pink rusticated stone made of locally quarried materials and the Beaux Arts style clock tower, which features a Seth Thomas timepiece. The courthouse continues as the seat of local government.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2000

 
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12368.)
 
Location. 30° 35.316′ N, 103° 53.711′ W. Marker is in Fort Davis, Texas, in Jeff Davis County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Avenue and State Street (Texas Highway 17/118), on the left when traveling west on Court Avenue. Click for map. Marker is on the north side of the courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Davis TX 79734, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. T/SGT. Manuel S. Gonzales (within shouting distance
Jeff Davis County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
2. Jeff Davis County Courthouse Marker
of this marker); Old Fort Davis CSA (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate President Jefferson Davis (within shouting distance of this marker); Jeff Davis County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Hotel Limpia (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jeff Davis County (about 400 feet away); Union Mercantile (about 500 feet away); First Baptist Church of Fort Davis (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Davis.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Jeff Davis County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
3. Jeff Davis County Courthouse
NRHP Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
4. NRHP Plaque
NRHP Plaque is just to the left of the Jeff Davis County Courthouse Marker.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 236 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement