Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Barry in Navarro County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Barry Baptist Church

 
 
Barry Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
1. Barry Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. The Barry Baptist Church congregation, originally organized as the Elam Baptist Church congregation, was established in September 1891 with seven charter members. The Rev. C. R. Roberts became the congregation's first pastor in June of 1892. Early services were held in a church structure one block northeast of this site. The congregation quickly became involved in county and statewide Baptist church affairs, affiliating with the Navarro County Baptist Association of the Baptist Convention of Texas in July 1892. Additionally, the congregation was able to institute a Sunday School program by 1895, under the leadership of J. M. Head, who served as first Sunday School superintendent. In 1916-17, during the pastorate of the Rev. A. W. Luper, the congregation built its second church structure at this site. Worship services have been held at this location since December of 1917. The Barry Baptist Church congregation has been involved in a variety of missionary activities over the years, concentrating on local mission programs, and it has played a prominent role in this community for over one hundred years.
 
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8270.)
 
Location. 32° 5.848′ N, 96° 38.185′ 
Barry Baptist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
2. Barry Baptist Church and Marker
W. Marker is in Barry, Texas, in Navarro County. Marker is at the intersection of Houston Street and 3rd Street, on the left when traveling south on Houston Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Barry TX 75102, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Barry (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pinkston (approx. 3.5 miles away); IOOF Home Memorial Bell Tower (approx. 7.9 miles away); Odd Fellow and Rebekah Children's Home (approx. 8 miles away); 15th Texas Infantry Companies E and G (approx. 8.3 miles away); Navarro Rifles (approx. 8.3 miles away); Corsicana Hebrew Cemetery (approx. 8.6 miles away); James Clinton Neill (approx. 9.1 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  The Barry Baptist Church, Barry, Navarro County, Texas. A Church History (Submitted on November 18, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Barry Baptist Church Marker seen at Houston Street image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
3. Barry Baptist Church Marker seen at Houston Street
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 236 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement