New Germany Lake
New Germany State Park
—Friends of New Germany —
In the early 1930’s President Roosevelt’s Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) drained Swaugers’s Dam, cleared out the many logs that were on the bottom, and built a new earthen breast works for the dam. Improvements also included a spillway. Fishing then became a prime use of the lake, which was plentifully stocked. Swimming was also possible now that the lake was refilled.
After the CCC left the area, the lake became part of the New Germany Recreation Area. By 1951 the lake boasted a 5-foot by 30-foot beach. Since that time, many improvements have been added. Today, surrounded by forests and picnic areas, the beach is a popular swimming and fishing spot. Changes and improvements continue to be made to New Germany Lake, enhancing and preserving it for the enjoyment of those who visit.
Location. 39° 37.962′ N, 79° 7.326′ W. Marker is in Grantsville, Maryland, in Garrett County. Marker is on McAndrews Hill Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grantsville MD 21536, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Swauger Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Lee Payne (approx. 2.2 miles away); Little Meadows (approx. 4.3 miles away); Crash of a United States B-52 Bomber (approx. 4.5 miles away); Stanton’s Mill (approx. 4.5 miles away); Yoder House (approx. 4.5 miles away); The National Pike (approx. 4.6 miles away); Mountain Maryland Gateway to the West (approx. 4.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Grantsville.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 291 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.