Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Davis in Jeff Davis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Jeff Davis County Jail

 
 
Jeff Davis County Jail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
1. Jeff Davis County Jail Marker
Inscription. The community of Fort Davis grew up around the military post of the same name, established by the U.S. Army in 1854 to protect travelers on the San Antonio–El Paso Road. Fort Davis was designated as the Presidio county seat when the county was organized in 1875, but the county seat was relocated to Marfa in 1885. When Jeff Davis County was organized in 1887, Fort Davis was again selected as a county seat.

This jail structure was built in 1910–1911 along with a new county courthouse; the two buildings replaced an adobe courthouse and jail structure built in 1880, when Fort Davis was the seat of Presidio County. Architect L.L. Thurman of Dallas designed both the new courthouse and jail, and Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky, was contracted to construct both buildings.

The structure is a small–scale example of the fortress-style jails and prisons that were popular in the United States during the 19th century. The one-story jail building was constructed with pressed concrete block which was plastered and scored to resemble ashlar blocks. A crenellated parapet tops the four exterior walls. The interior is divided into four rooms, including a front entryway and office, a kitchen, a jailer's bedroom, and the cell block that included the entire rear portion of the building.

The
Jeff Davis County Jail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
2. Jeff Davis County Jail Marker
jail retained its original function until 1978, when the building no longer complied with current jail standards, and it was decided that sending prisoners to Marfa would be more economically sound. Among other tenants, the county clerk's office occupied the building 2002-2009.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2010

 
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16485.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the San Antonio-El Paso Road marker series.
 
Location. 30° 35.277′ N, 103° 53.704′ W. Marker is in Fort Davis, Texas, in Jeff Davis County. Marker is at the intersection of Woodward Avenue and State Street (Texas Route 17), on the left when traveling west on Woodward Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 W Woodward Ave, Fort Davis TX 79734, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate President Jefferson Davis (within shouting distance of this marker); Jeff Davis County (within shouting distance of this marker); Jeff Davis County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Fort Davis CSA
Jeff Davis County Jail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
3. Jeff Davis County Jail Marker
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); T/SGT. Manuel S. Gonzales (about 300 feet away); Hotel Limpia (about 500 feet away); Union Mercantile (about 500 feet away); First Baptist Church of Fort Davis (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Davis.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 291 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement