Near Locust Grove in Orange County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Battle of the Wilderness
- George M. Neese, Chew’s Virginia Battery November 11, 1863
Ellwood was a typical Virginia farm. The 1790s dwelling looked out over rolling farmland planted in corn, wheat, and clover. Outbuildings, including a kitchen, smokehouse, and dairy, surrounded the house. As many as one hundred slaves, their cabins scattered north and west of the main building, provided the farm with most of its labor.
The Civil War shattered Ellwood’s dull routine. In May 1863, the Confederate army established a hospital in the building, and seven months later Union soldiers looted the house. Worse was yet to come. In May 1864, Northern and Southern soldiers engaged in a deadly struggle little more than a mile from Ellwood. Overnight the once quiet farm became a bustling military encampment.
Erected by Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Historical Park, National Park Service.
Location. 38° 19.162′ N, 77° 43.904′ Click for map. Located at the Ellwood (Lacy House) section of the Wilderness Battlefield, within the Fredericksburg-Spotsylvania National Military Park. Marker is in this post office area: Locust Grove VA 22508, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Archeology at Ellwood (here, next to this marker); Union Headquarters (within shouting distance of this marker); A Military Scene (within shouting distance of this marker); “Stonewall” Jackson’s Arm (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Arm of Stonewall Jackson (about 500 feet away); The Campaign of 1781 (approx. ¼ mile away); Grant Comes to Virginia (approx. ¼ mile away); Grant’s Headquarters (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Locust Grove.
More about this marker. The left of the marker features a picture of J. Horace Lacy with the caption J.Horace Lacey in 1848 after marrying William Jones’ youngest daughter, Betty. Civil War maps identify Ellwood as the Lacy House.
The right portion of the marker contains a picture with the caption Ellwood and many of its dependencies appear in this 1866 photograph taken from Wilderness Tavern.
Also see . . .
1. Ellwood Manor. (Submitted on March 11, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Battle of the Wilderness. (Submitted on March 11, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
1. The Ellwood Catalpa
A famous giant catalpa tree stood with a precarious lean behind the Ellwood house for 170 years. It witnessed the building of the house and battles fought nearby during the Civil War. It blew down in a storm on the night of September 14, 2006.
— Submitted June 26, 2011, by David Graff of Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,887 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 4. submitted on , by Bryan Olson of Syracuse, New York. 5. submitted on , by David Graff of Halifax, Nova Scotia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.