Barstow in Ward County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Ward County Courthouse
Site of First Ward County Courthouse
A three-story red sandstone courthouse with a domed cupola was constructed here in 1893, one year after Barstow was elected first Ward County seat. The first elected officials to serve in the courthouse were R.D. Gage, Co. Judge; S.D. McWhorter, Co. & Dist. Clerk; W.M. Ware, Sheriff & Tax Collector; John W. Phillips, Co. Attorney; S.H. Parker, Tax Assessor; J.B. Carson, Surveyor; J.J. Walker, Treas.; Pat Wheat, Comm. No. 1; W.C. Carson, Comm. No. 2; Pat Duracke, Comm. No. 3; and A.D. Irvin, Comm. No. 4. The landmark was razed soon after the county seat moved to Monahans in 1938. All that remains is a cornerstone.
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4789.)
Location. 31° 27.695′ N, 103° 23.653′ W. Marker is in Barstow, Texas, in Ward County. Marker is at the intersection of Mackey Avenue (Ranch to Market Road 516) and Concho Street, on the right when traveling north on Mackey Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Barstow TX 79719, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early Public Library (here, next to this marker); Old Ward County Bank Pioneer Graveyard (approx. 6 miles away); Emigrants' Crossing (approx. 6.4 miles away); Mrs. Lillie W. Cole (approx. 6.4 miles away); Spanish Explorers (approx. 6.4 miles away); Reeves County-Pecos, Texas (approx. 6.4 miles away); The Pecos Cantaloupe (approx. 6.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Barstow.
Categories. • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 226 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.