“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

St. Ignatius Church

St. Ignatius Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, March 11, 2008
1. St. Ignatius Church Marker
Inscription. St. Ignatius Church opened August 15, 1856. Designed by Henry Hamilton Pittar and Louis L. Long, it was the second unit to be completed in the block-long complex that stretches from Madison to Monument Streets. In 1855, the porticoed central section was built for Loyola College and since 1993 has been the home of St. Ignatius Loyola Academy.

The relatively simple exterior of the church belies the elegant Baroque interior, which features elaborate plaster work executed by Charles B. Anderson and two large paintings, as well as the altarpiece, by Brumidi, artist of Washington's Capitol rotunda. The original organ, built in Boston by William D.D. Simmons, is still in use.

A year after the church opened, the basement Chapel of the Blessed Peter Claver was designated for the use of Catholics of color, who had been worshipping at St. Mary's Seminary on Pennsylvania Avenue from shortly after their arrival in Baltimore in 1791.

In September 1860 Father Peter L. Miller, SJ, friend and ecclesiastical director of the Oblate Sisters of Providence, allotted twelve pews in the chapel for the use of the Sisters and the children in their care. The chapel was filled to capacity. Thus began a legacy of friendship and cooperation between Mother Mary Lange, OSP, her daughters the Oblate Sisters, and Saint Ignatius Church.

St. Ignatius Church image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, March 11, 2008
2. St. Ignatius Church
1863, African-American Catholics moved from the chapel to the old Universalist Church building at Calvert and Pleasant streets to found St. Francis Xavier Church, the first black Catholic parish in the United States. In December 1871 the parish was turned over to the Mill Hill Fathers, the predecessors of the American Josephites.

The chapel, later renamed the Chapel of Grace, is now home to the Radio Mass of Baltimore.

The third and last section of this complex was designed as an annex to Loyola College by Thomas C. Kennedy in 1899. By 1970 this southern wing was vacant. Through the generosity of the Society of Jesus, owner of the St. Ignatius complex, and an arrangement with the city of Baltimore, Center State acquired the building in 1975.
Erected 2007 by the City of Baltimore, St. Ignatius Church, Sponsor, William Donald Schaefer, Mayor, Rededicated by Shiela Dixon, Mayor.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers marker series.
Location. 39° 17.912′ N, 76° 36.781′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on North Calvert Street (Maryland Route 2), on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 740 North Calvert Street, Baltimore MD 21202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Samuel Shoemaker House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Peabody Institute and George Peabody Library (about 700 feet away); Francis Scott Key (about 700 feet away); Mount Vernon Cultural Walk-Celebrating Culture (about 700 feet away); Mount Vernon Place United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); A Monumental Mistake (about 700 feet away); The Axe and the Cherry Tree (about 700 feet away); Mount Vernon Cultural Walk-Contributing to Society (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Baltimore.
More about this marker. The marker features two photographs of the church and one photograph of Mother Mary Lange.
Also see . . .  St. Ignatius Church website. (Submitted on March 11, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
Categories. African AmericansChurches, Etc.Notable Buildings
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,868 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement