Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Seaford in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

St. John's United Methodist Church

 
 
St. John's United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 16, 2012
1. St. John's United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. In the late 18th century, Francis Asbury and other pioneers of American Methodism traveled throughout this area bringing the message of their faith to the people. A local Methodist Society was organized at that time, first meeting in the homes of its members. In 1804 they purchased land on Chapel Branch and built a house of worship. The growth of Seaford and expanding size of the congregation resulted in the purchase of a lot on Front Street in 1818, and the construction of a new church known as “Bochim’s Meeting House.” This structure was used until 1860, when it was moved and replaced by a larger building. In 1870 it was formally renamed St. John’s Methodist Episcopal Church. The present site was purchased in 1889, and in 1898 the congregation completed a new church here. A major expansion and remodeling project was undertaken in 1933-34. In 1968 the congregation approved the building of a new sanctuary. The old church was removed and the present building was built and occupied in 1972. The sanctuary was formally dedicated in 1989.
 
Erected 2003 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-177.)
 
Location. 38° 38.597′ N, 75° 36.808′ W. Marker is
St. John's United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 16, 2012
2. St. John's United Methodist Church Marker
in Seaford, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Pine Street near Poplar Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Seaford DE 19973, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Seaford Fire Department (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mount Olivet United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Seaford Post Office (approx. 0.2 miles away); Governor William H. H. Ross (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Luke's Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Forty & Eight Boxcar (approx. ¼ mile away); The Delaware Railroad (approx. ¼ mile away); Nanticoke Post No. 6 (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Seaford.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
St. John's United Methodist Church and Marker (far right) along Pine Street and Poplar Street image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 16, 2012
3. St. John's United Methodist Church and Marker (far right) along Pine Street and Poplar Street
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 272 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement