HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Williamsburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Public Hospital of 1773
DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum
Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum
 
The Public Hospital of 1773 Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Denise Boose, July 8, 2012
1. The Public Hospital of 1773 Marker
 
Inscription. In 1773, when Williamsburg's Public Hospital opened, it was the first facility in America dedicated solely to the care and treatment of the insane. The original building burned in 1885. Reconstructed by the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation in 1985, the Public Hospital houses an exhibit on the building's history and serves as the entrance to the DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum, the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum including the Hennage Auditorium, Museum Store and Cafe.
 
Location. 37° 16.132′ N, 76° 42.279′ W. Marker is in Williamsburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Francis Street West and South Henry Street (Virginia Route 132), on the left when traveling east on Francis Street West. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 325 Francis St W, Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of First Baptist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Williamsburg Confederate Monument (about 500 feet away); The College of William and Mary in Virginia (approx. 0.2 miles away); Indian School at the College of William & Mary (approx. 0.2 miles away); Norborne Berkeley, Baron de Botetourt (approx. mile away); George Wythe House and Gardens (approx. mile away); In Gallia Nati Mortui in Virginia (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Christopher Wren Building (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Williamsburg.
 
The Public Hospital of 1773 Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Denise Boose, July 8, 2012
2. The Public Hospital of 1773 Marker
 
 
The Public Hospital of 1773 Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Denise Boose, July 8, 2012
3. The Public Hospital of 1773 Marker
 
 
A cell in 1773 at the Public Hospital. Photo, Click for full size
By Denise Boose, July 8, 2012
4. A cell in 1773 at the Public Hospital.
 
 
A apartment in 1845 at the Public Hospital. Photo, Click for full size
By Denise Boose, July 8, 2012
5. A apartment in 1845 at the Public Hospital.
No longer called a cell, but an apartment.
 
 
A bust of Dr. John Minson Galt II Photo, Click for full size
By Denise Boose, July 8, 2012
6. A bust of Dr. John Minson Galt II
Dr. John Minson Galt II (1819-1862) Alexander Galt (1827-1863) Virginia, 1860-1863 Marble Loaned by Eastern State Hospital, Williamsburg, Virginia As the hospital's first superintendent, Galt oversaw both administravtive and medical functions from 1841-1862. Trained at the Medical College of the University of Pennsylvania, he championed innovation and compassion in the asylum.
 
 
The Public Hospital Exhibit Photo, Click for full size
By Denise Boose, July 8, 2012
7. The Public Hospital Exhibit
Various items they used at the hospital to help its patients.
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on November 23, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 206 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on November 23, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 484 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.