Kermit in Winkler County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Duval Townsite
Duval townsite, promoted all over the United States by the Pueblo Investment Co., opened on March 19, 1910, with free lots, a picnic, and cowboy tournament.
In April, Kermit became seat of Winkler County; post office moved there in October. Duval failed to develop and townsite rights were canceled after 1928 oil discovery here. Ownership of many valuable lots sold in 1910 is still unclear today.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3723.)
Location. 31° 50.232′ N, 103° 7.477′ W. Marker is in Kermit, Texas, in Winkler County. Marker is on Texas Route 302 0.1 miles west of Texas Route 115, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kermit TX 79745, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Community Church (approx. 2.3 miles away); Winkler County Courthouse (approx. 2.3 miles away); Colonel C. M. Winkler (approx. 2.3 miles away); Kermit Moorhead Cable Tool Rig (approx. 3 miles away); Winkler County Discovery Well (approx. 5.9 miles away); Wink (approx. 6 miles away); Roy Orbison (approx. 6.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Kermit.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 189 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.