Andrews in Andrews County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
of Andrews County
In 1886 O.B. Holt became first man to file for county land. First settlers included the Cowden brothers and Peter Von Holebeke.
In 1900 county had 87 people; it was finally organized in 1910. With windmill pumps and drift fences, ranching became feasible, although soil was so dry that a grazing cow crashed through a dugout roof into a bed one day.
In 1930 the discovery of oil brought wealth and rewarded the tenacity of first pioneers.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1350.)
Location. 32° 19.028′ N, 102° 33.278′ W. Marker is in Andrews, Texas, in Andrews County. Marker is at the intersection of West Broadway Street and NW 7th Street, on the right when traveling west on West Broadway Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 700 W Broadway St, Andrews TX 79714, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Original Townsite of Andrews (here, next to this marker); Two Billionth Barrel (approx. half a mile away); Billionth Barrel Dorsie M. Pinnell (approx. half a mile away); Shafter's Trail (approx. 0.6 miles away); Means Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Andrews County Discovery Well (approx. 6.1 miles away); Florey Park (approx. 9.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Andrews.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 800 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.