Inscription. Nottingham was the Chesapeake Flotilla’s base in July and early August 1814. The town was hastily abandoned on August 21 as the British moved in. An enemy rear guard protected this important landing while the main force invaded Washington. British vessels here took on wounded soldiers and artillery as the Washington campaign ended.
By Anacostia Trails Heritage Area
|1. Changing Guard Marker|
“Came...to the town of Nottingham...Not an individual was to be seen in the streets, or remained in the house; while the appearance of the furniture, &c., in some places the very bread left in the ovens, showed that it had been evacuated in great haste.”
– British Lt. George Robert Gleig
As British troops marched toward Nottingham they discovered two American militiamen who claimed to be out squirrel hunting. They balked when officers asked why they were hunting with bayonets.
1814 British Map of Nottingham Encampment
Sketch of the March of the British Army
by Robert Smith, 1814
Erected by National Park Service.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail marker series.
Location. 38° 42.633′ N, 76° 42.264′ W. Marker is in Upper Marlboro, Maryland, in Prince George's County
. Marker is at the intersection of Nottingham Road and Tanyard Road, on the left when traveling east on Nottingham Road. Click for map. Marker is at a sharp bend on Nottingham Road, about 400 feet north of the intersection with Tanyard Road. Marker is in this post office area: Upper Marlboro MD 20772, United States of America.
By F. Robby, August 20, 2013
|2. Changing Guard Marker|
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Nottingham Schoolhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); The Town of Nottingham (within shouting distance of this marker); The War of 1812 (within shouting distance of this marker); Nottingham (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Merkle Wildlife Sanctuary (approx. 1.2 miles away); Shaded Reprieve (approx. 1.7 miles away); Smithville United Methodist Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); Man and the River (approx. 2.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Upper Marlboro.