“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Andrews in Andrews County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Frankel City

Frankel City Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 25, 2012
1. Frankel City Marker
Inscription. In 1941 the Fullerton Oil Company of California struck oil near this site, and by 1945 more than 100 drilling rigs were in operation. The discovery brought great numbers of workers into the area, resulting in the establishment of the town of Fullerton.

Located approximately one mile north, Fullerton provided newcomers with two churches, two cafes, two filling stations, a grocery store, delicatessen, beauty shop, and Andrews telephone exchange. Buses transported children to and from school in Andrews (16 mi. SE). By the end of World War II, the boom town also boasted supply stores, oil field service companies, welding shops, and an electric plant.

Fullerton's name was changed to Frankel City when the U.S. post office was established in 1948. At one time the post office served as many as 500 area families. By 1976, however, most of the oil had been taken from the ground, and workers in the field were laid off or transferred to other jobs. The town was abandoned as the post office and other businesses closed.

The old Prairie Schooner Cafe, moved to this site from its original location, is all that is left of Frankel City. The ghost town, however, remains an important part of West Texas history.
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2051.)
Frankel City Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 25, 2012
2. Frankel City Marker

Location. 32° 21.482′ N, 102° 46.448′ W. Marker is near Andrews, Texas, in Andrews County. Marker is at the intersection of Eunice Highway (Route 176) and Farm to Market Road 181, on the right when traveling east on Eunice Highway. Click for map. Marker is on the southwest corner. Marker is in this post office area: Andrews TX 79714, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Andrews County (approx. 2 miles away); Shafter Lake Townsite (approx. 6.1 miles away); Andrews County Discovery Well (approx. 7 miles away); Florey Park (approx. 13.6 miles away).
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 673 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement