Near Andrews in Andrews County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Shafter Lake Townsite
Named for lake charted in 1875 survey of Col. Wm. R. Shafter, whose maps and victories over powerful Indians opened the Permian Basin to settlement.
Water trough built by John Underwood of Shafter Lake Sand and Gravel is on site then set aside for a courthouse. It was stopping place for ranchers and freighters on way from Jal and Monument, N. Mex., into Texas. Town started to grow around trough. But when vote in 1910 county organization gave county seat to Andrews, town moved there.
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4653.)
Location. 32° 24.191′ N, 102° 41.109′ W. Marker is near Andrews, Texas, in Andrews County. Marker is on Shafter Lake Road (Farm to Market Road 1967) 2.3 miles west of NW 2001, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Andrews TX 79714, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Andrews County Discovery Well (approx. 5.1 miles away); Frankel City (approx. 6.1 miles away); Andrews County (approx. 7.5 miles away); Florey Park Dorsie M. Pinnell (approx. 9.5 miles away); Original Townsite of Andrews (approx. 9.7 miles away); Early Settlers (approx. 9.7 miles away); Two Billionth Barrel (approx. 9.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Andrews.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 672 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.