Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Presbyterian Church of Houston
This church was the first house of worship completed in Houston. Dedicated on Feb. 13, 1842, it was used for meeting of other denominations and groups. Here the House of Representatives met in summer of 1842, and President Sam Houston addressed a joint session of Congress. Thus the congregation repaid the Republic's hospitality of 1838-1839.
Original church burned 1862; a brick structure was built in 1867, and served until the erection of a large stone edifice, Main at McKinney, 1894. Fire destroyed part of that building in 1932. The present church was occupied in 1948 and dedicated Sept. 12, 1954. Through the years, this church body has furnished many outstanding leaders to the businesses and professions of state and nation.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10661.)
Location. Click for map. Marker at Main St entrance to parking lot 150 yards north of Binz St. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5300 Main Street, Houston TX 77004, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Paul's United Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); W. L. and Susan Clayton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Holland Lodge No. 1 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Clayton House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Houston Light Guard (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Waldo Mansion (approx. one mile away); Temple Beth Israel (approx. 1.1 miles away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Houston.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 252 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.