Hillsboro in Hill County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
(Hill County, Texas)
Hill County was organized on May 14, 1853. The courthouse square is near the geographic center of the county and has been the site for five courthouse buildings. The present building was completed in 1890. McShane Bell Factory of Baltimore, MD was commissioned to cast the bell, which weighed 1,525 pounds. The clock was constructed by E. Howard Watch and Clock Company of Boston, MA. Both were added to the tower in 1891. This bell marked the hours for 102 years until its supports were consumed by fire on January 1, 1993.
On January 1, 1993 at 6: 35 p.m. the first alarm was sounded that there was a fire at the Hill County Courthouse. Hillsboro firefighters quickly responded to find a third floor office engulfed in flames. Within minutes flames spread to the bell tower. County citizens gathered around the square while others watched on television, as the 70- foot tower collapsed in flames. The next morning the rim of the bell was visible through the ceiling of the first floor hallway. Fifteen Hill County fire departments along with firefighters from other counties, battled the flames throughout the night. The official cause of the fire was electrical.
Talk of restoring
Tommy Walker Andrea Holt Kenneth Davis
M.L. (Bud) Raulston #1 J.K. Lane #3 Kenneth Reid #2
Bobbie Brustrom #3 Mildred Brustrom #3 John Erwin #4
Hill County Historical Commission
Architexas of Dallas - Craig Melde - Larry Irsik - Gary Skotnicki
Bryan Construction Company R.J. King Construction
George G. and Alva Hudson Smith
Betty R. Dohoney D'ette F. Cowan Bob R. Moon
Andrein L. Smith John B. Tuggle
Location. 32° 0.662′ N, 97° 7.85′ W. Marker is in Hillsboro, Texas, in Hill County. Marker is on West Elm Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Located between North Waco Street and North Covington Street,Courthouse South lawn. Marker is in this post office area: Hillsboro TX 76645, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Old Lexington Village (within shouting distance of this marker); Hill County Confederate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Hill County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Bond's Alley (within shouting distance of this marker); Hill County (within shouting distance of this marker); Pioneer Bank Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Hillsboro Post Office Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); City of Hillsboro (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Hillsboro.
Regarding Courthouse History.
(ISTEA)-Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act
Architexas - Architecture, Planning and Historic Preservation, Inc.
Also see . . . Hill County Courthouse;Texas Escapes Online Magazine. Famed architect W. C. Dodson designed this edifice, which was a conglomerate of Second Empire, Classical Revival, and Italianate features. Kind of a Texas hodge-podge. (Submitted on January 11, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 232 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.