Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Palmetto in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Ramah Baptist Church

 
 
Ramah Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, December 2, 2012
1. Ramah Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. The first Baptist Church established in Campbell County in 1828, it became the mother church for many Western and Fairburn Baptist Association churches. James Rainwater (1795 - 1871) was the first known pastor, serving for 26 years, and is buried in the church cemetery. Also buried there is William Brewster, a Revolutionary soldier, (1757 – 1847). Land was donated by Robert Jackson and a log cabin was the first house of worship which also served as a school. This was replaced by a frame building in 1851 and the present sanctuary of Stone Mountain granite was complete in 1906 for the sum of $3,000.00.
 
Erected 1983 by Old Campbell County Historical Society.
 
Location. 33° 31.617′ N, 84° 39.683′ W. Marker is in Palmetto, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is on Ramah Drive 0.1 miles south of Roosevelt Highway (U.S. 29), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. The marker is located on the front of the old Ramah Baptist Church (a newer church has been built closer to Roosevelt Highway). Marker is at or near this postal address: 502 Ramah Drive, Palmetto GA 30268, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederate Army of Tennessee (approx. 0.8 miles away); Palmetto
Ramah Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, December 2, 2012
2. Ramah Baptist Church Marker
The marker is just above the church cornerstone, which reads: "1828 1906 Ramah R. O. Rhodes, Pastor."
(approx. 0.8 miles away); Willis Pentecost Menefee (approx. 0.8 miles away); Palmer Family Cemetery (approx. 5.2 miles away); Old Campbell County (approx. 5.5 miles away); Shadnor Baptist Church (approx. 7.5 miles away); Site of the Campbell County Court House (approx. 8.7 miles away); Birthplace of a Confederate Hero (approx. 8.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Palmetto.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Ramah Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, December 2, 2012
3. Ramah Baptist Church Marker
The marker and the cornerstone
Ramah Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, December 2, 2012
4. Ramah Baptist Church Marker
The old Ramah Baptist Church, built in 1906, is now used by the Ramah Student Ministry.
Ramah Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, December 2, 2012
5. Ramah Baptist Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 304 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement