Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Paradise in Butte County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Nelson Bar

 
 
Nelson Bar Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, November 16, 2012
1. Nelson Bar Marker
Inscription.
Mining settlement named for
Benjamin Nelson
who discovered gold here in 1850.
Town was on both sides of W. Branch
of N. Fork of Feather River.

 
Erected 1979 by E Clampus Vitus, Pair-o Dice Chapter No. 7-11.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 39° 41.678′ N, 121° 34.165′ W. Marker is near Paradise, California, in Butte County. Marker can be reached from Nelson Bar Boat Ramp Road. Click for map. This marker is located in the Nelson Bar Day Use Facility just off of Lime Saddle Road. Marker is in this post office area: Paradise CA 95969, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Yankee Hill (approx. 2.5 miles away); 1879 Site of Messilla Valley School (approx. 2.8 miles away); Cherokee (approx. 3.7 miles away); Paradise Pioneers (approx. 4.7 miles away); Old Paradise (approx. 4.9 miles away); Town of Paradise Memorial Trailway (approx. 4.9 miles away); Paradise Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.9 miles away); PFC. Steven J. Walberg-Riotto (approx. 5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Paradise.
 
More about this marker.
Nelson Bar Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, November 16, 2012
2. Nelson Bar Marker
An earlier Nelson's Bar marker erected on Nelson's Bar Road by the Pair-O-Dice Chapter, No. 7-11 of E Clampus Vitus is no longer in place. It has been replaced by this marker.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
The site of Nelson's Bar image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, November 16, 2012
3. The site of Nelson's Bar
An earlier Nelson's Bar marker erected by the E Clamps Vitus Pair-O-Dice Chapter image. Click for full size.
By E Clampus Vitus Plaques Book 1930-1995, n/a
4. An earlier Nelson's Bar marker erected by the E Clamps Vitus Pair-O-Dice Chapter
"This small mining settlement was named for Bejamin Nelson who discovered gold here in 1850. The town sprawled on both sides of the West Branch of the North Fork of the Feather River, across which many ferries and bridges were built and all were lost to the water, the last in 1967, to Lake Oroville.
Dedicated April 21, 1979 by E Clampus Vitus, Pair-O-Dice 7-11."
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 506 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement