Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Three Rivers in Saint Joseph County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Three Rivers Town Cannon

 
 
Three Rivers Town Cannon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, November 19, 2012
1. Three Rivers Town Cannon Marker
Front Side
Inscription.
(Front Side)
Before the Civil War local militias in Michigan were supplied with arms and equipment donated by the Federal Government under the Militia Act of 1808.

During the Mexican War (1845-47) the army's new artillery system was very successful and well reported in the press. In 1847 the State of Michigan chose to draw an accumulated share of military equipment in cannons. The State in turn loaned each cannon to a town which agreed to train men to use and maintain it.

This cannon was made by Ames Mfg. Co. of Chicopee, Mass. and serial numbered 323 by inspector Jas. W. Ripley on August 26, 1847. It was part of a shipment of seventeen 6 pounder guns, with carriages and full equipment sent in late 1847 to Michigan, still a “frontier” state.
(Continued on other side)
(Back Side)
(Continued from other side)
State records after the Civil War show a bronze 6 pounder gun on loan to Three Rivers. It was probably used in Michigan for training during the Civil War. Local history indicates it was frequently fired for ceremonial events.

By 1888 the cannon was too obsolete for serious military use. The State ordered it back to Lansing for disposal. Instead, the village was allowed to purchase the bronze gun tube for 12 1/2 cents a pound
Three Rivers Town Cannon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, November 19, 2012
2. Three Rivers Town Cannon Marker
Back Side
according to the local newspaper of February 10th.

The cannon continued to be used for local ceremonies and celebrations until retired for safety reasons. It remains a local landmark.

Marker given in memory of Matt J. & Mary Switlik

 
Location. 41° 56.563′ N, 85° 38.13′ W. Marker is in Three Rivers, Michigan, in Saint Joseph County. Marker is at the intersection of West Michigan Avenue (Michigan Route 60) and Spring Street, on the left when traveling west on West Michigan Avenue. Click for map. The marker is located in the northwest corner of Scidmore Park. Marker is in this post office area: Three Rivers MI 49093, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Three Rivers (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Legendary Battle (about 400 feet away); French Trading Post (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sue Silliman House (approx. 0.2 miles away but has been reported missing); Old Three Rivers Public Library (approx. mile away); Moab (approx. 0.7 miles away); Three Rivers Civil War Monument (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Three Rivers.
 
Categories. Military
 
View to East from Spring Street image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, November 19, 2012
3. View to East from Spring Street
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 249 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement