Hot Springs in Garland County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
Hot Springs National Park
Although many of its competitors closed between 1962 and 1985, the Buckstaff continues to operate as a bathhouse. On Bathhouse Row it is the sole operating survivor from the Golden Age of Bathing.
Men’s bathhall around 1920.
Buckstaff Bathhouse, 1920. Built in 1911, the Buckstaff’s neoclassical style inspired park superintendent Harry Meyers to write that the building resembled “the Irish House of Parliament.”
Location. 34° 30.726′ N, 93° 3.228′ W. Marker is in Hot Springs, Arkansas, in Garland County. Marker is on Central Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 509 Central Avenue, Hot Springs National Park AR 71901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lamar Bathhouse (a few steps from this marker); Bathhouse Row (within shouting An American Spa (within shouting distance of this marker); Ozark Bathhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Quapaw Bathhouse (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fordyce Bathhouse (about 600 feet away); Hollywood Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away).
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 330 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?