“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Midway in Bullock County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)

Town of Midway

Town of Midway Marker, front image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, October 20, 2012
1. Town of Midway Marker, front
Inscription. Pioneer Samuel Feagin Sr. settled the Village of Midway in 1836. He came from Jones County, Georgia and established his residence at what is still called “The Old Feagin Place.” Samuel purchased a large acreage of land and sold it to incoming settlers. He built a log cabin with rooms above where travelers were accommodated overnight. It was also used as a stagecoach stop for those traveling from Eufaula to Tuskegee. On July 11, 1813 the Midway Post Office was established and Samuel Feagin was the first postmaster. On February 23, 1870, the town of Midway was incorporated. The business part of Midway was originally built around a square. A fire destroyed most of this area. The settlers rebuilt their businesses and continued to grow and thrive with eight dry goods and grocery stores, two houses of entertainment, one livery, and a large manufacturing establishment for carriages and buggies. The lower section of Midway, at the Central of Georgia Railroad, was once called James, Alabama. On March 18, 1903, the Union Springs Herald stated the Town of Midway and James had grown not only in population but businesses that included a drugstore, cotton ginnery, dry goods, post office, Midway and James Bank, train station, funeral home, barber shop and town hall. A granite boulder, located at the intersection of Highway 82 and 51, marks
Town of Midway Marker, back image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, October 20, 2012
2. Town of Midway Marker, back
the remnants of Midway's past. The marker was erected to commemorate the Jefferson Davis Highway and Soldiers of the Confederacy. Midway has several sites listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage, with one listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Midway.
Location. 32° 4.237′ N, 85° 31.341′ W. Marker is in Midway, Alabama, in Bullock County. Marker is at the intersection of Railroad Street and Depot Street, on the right when traveling west on Railroad Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Midway AL 36053, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. James C.M.E. Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Missionary Church 1875 (approx. half a mile away); Old Merritt School Midway Community Center (approx. half a mile away); Confederate Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Midway Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Three Notch Road (approx. 4.1 miles away); Election Riot of 1874 (approx. 8.6 miles away); Aberfoil Community (approx. 9.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Midway.
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
Town of Midway Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, October 20, 2012
3. Town of Midway Marker
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 391 times since then and 103 times this year. Last updated on . Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement