Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marshallton in Chester County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Marshalton Inn

1793

 

—National Register of Historic Places —

 
Marshalton Inn Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith S Smith, September 10, 2012
1. Marshalton Inn Marker
Inscription.
The Marshalton Inn
Licensed 1822
Has Been Placed on the
National Register of Historic Places
By The United States
Department of the Interior
Constructed c. 1793

 
Erected by United States Department of the Interior.
 
Location. 39° 57.023′ N, 75° 40.684′ W. Marker is in Marshallton, Pennsylvania, in Chester County. Marker is on West Strasburg Road, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1300 W. Strasburg Road, West Chester PA 19382, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Humphry Marshall (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Home and Arboretum of Humphry Marshall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Martins Tavern and The Battle of Brandywine (approx. 0.2 miles away); Martin's Tavern or Center House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Humphrey Marshall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tavern Fare (approx. 0.2 miles away); Court of Quarter Sessions (approx. 0.2 miles away); Nathan Simms (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Marshallton.
 
More about this marker. This marker is on the east side of the building at the side
Marshalton Inn & Wall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Public Domain
2. Marshalton Inn & Wall Marker
entry door
 
Also see . . .  Marshalton Inn - Official Site. (Submitted on December 20, 2012, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
 
Additional comments.
1. History and misspelled naming of ---
While the town here is called Marshallton - The Marshalton Inn is spelled with only one "L" because of a spelling error made on an old deed of transfer. The Inn has been witness to over two hundred years of local lore and history. The Federal style Marshalton Inn was built as a private residence by Joseph Woodward in 1793. The building was later converted for usage as an Inn because of the increased travel on "the Strasburg Road" which was one of only two roads from Philadelphia to Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
    — Submitted December 20, 2012, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.

 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable BuildingsRoads & Vehicles
 
Marshalton Inn - view from the Fire House sidewalk image. Click for full size.
By Unknown - Public Domain
3. Marshalton Inn - view from the Fire House sidewalk
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 342 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement