Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Marshallton in Chester County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Marshallton Historic District

~circa 1764~

 

—Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in – 1986 —

 
The Marshallton Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith S Smith, March 14, 2012
1. The Marshallton Historic District Marker
Placed on the National Register of Historic Places, January 8, 1986
Inscription.
The
Village
of
Marshalton
~Circa~
1764
National Register
Historic District

 
Erected 1986 by Town of Marshalton.
 
Location. 39° 56.852′ N, 75° 40.861′ W. Marker is near Marshallton, Pennsylvania, in Chester County. Marker is on Northbrook Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Chester PA 19380, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Nathan Simms (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tavern Fare (approx. 0.2 miles away); Martins Tavern and The Battle of Brandywine (approx. 0.2 miles away); Martin's Tavern or Center House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Court of Quarter Sessions (approx. 0.2 miles away); Humphrey Marshall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Humphry Marshall (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Home and Arboretum of Humphry Marshall (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Marshallton.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .
1. Living Places - Marshalton, PA. (Submitted on April 26, 2012, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
2. Marshalton - Wikipedia. (Submitted on April 26, 2012, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
The Marshallton National Historic District image. Click for full size.
By Keith S Smith, March 14, 2012
2. The Marshallton National Historic District

 
Additional comments.
1. The Marshalton Historic District:
The Marshallton Historic District is located along West Strasburg Road in Chester County, Pennsylvania. Of the 71 principal buildings in the Marshallton Historic District, 67 contribute to its historical and architectural significance. Marshallton lies four miles west of the county seat of West Chester; its surroundings are still rural. Leaving the Borough of West Chester by Strasburg Road, you will pass sprawling farms, open fields, and the Stroud Land Preserve. Near the preserve there is a small group of historic buildings also nearby is the Nationally Registered Cope's Bridge on the East Branch Brandywine. Atop a hill, commanding a sweeping view of the valley drained by the Brandywine lies Historic Marshallton, a village dating from the late 18th century. Named for longtime resident, and Botanist Humphrey Marshall, the village began as a cluster of houses near an inn known as the Center House, or Martin’s Tavern. A self-contained community at the turn of the 20th century, today it features some 50 century-old or older dwellings, two historic inns, a restored blacksmith shop, two places of worship, the former town hall, and a couple of ancient cemeteries.
    — Submitted April 26, 2012, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.

 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 456 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on . Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement