Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Green Cove Springs in Clay County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Fort Fransisco De Pupo

 
 
Fort Fransisco De Pupo Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, December 2, 2012
1. Fort Fransisco De Pupo Marker
Inscription. Pupo is first mentioned in 1716 as the place where the trail from the Franciscan Indian missions and the Apalachee (present-day Tallahassee) to St. Augustine crossed the river. The Spanish Government built the fort on the St. Johns River some time before 1737. Pupo teamed with Fort Picolata on the Eastern shore. These forts protected the river crossing and blocked ships from continuing up stream. In 1738 after an attack by the British-allied Yuchi Indians, the fort was enlarged to a 30-by-16 blockhouse, surrounded by a rampart of timber and earth. During General James Oglethorpe's 1739-40 advance on St. Augustine, Lt George Dunbar unsuccessfully attacked Pupo on the night of December 28th. On January 7th and 8th, Oglethorpe himself took two days to capture the Spanish blockhouses. Oglethorpe reinforced the fort with a trench, which is still visible. Upon the British retreat from Florida, Fort San Francisco de Pupo was destroyed. Though the fort was never rebuilt, the site remained a strategically important ferry crossing. In the 1820's Florida's first federally built road, the Bellamy Road, used the river crossing on the route between St. Augustine and Pensacola.
A Florida Heritage Landmark

 
Erected 2003 by Clay County Historical Commission. (Marker Number
Fort Fransisco De Pupo Marker, Located on southeast bank of St. Johns River, looking east image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, December 2, 2012
2. Fort Fransisco De Pupo Marker, Located on southeast bank of St. Johns River, looking east
F-480.)
 
Location. 29° 58.696′ N, 81° 37.758′ W. Marker is in Green Cove Springs, Florida, in Clay County. Marker is on Leonard C. Taylor Parkway (Florida Route 16), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Located on southeast bank of St. Johns River. Marker is in this post office area: Green Cove Springs FL 32043, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William Bartram's Plantation (approx. 1.5 miles away); Green Cove Springs (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Village Improvement Association Woman's Club (approx. 3.3 miles away); Old Clay County Courthouse (approx. 3.5 miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. 4.4 miles away); Picolata (approx. 4.9 miles away); The Bellamy Road (approx. 5 miles away); William Bartram Scenic Highway (approx. 5.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Green Cove Springs.
 
Categories. Colonial EraForts, CastlesSettlements & Settlers
 
Fort Fransisco De Pupo Marker, looking west along State Route 16 image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, December 2, 2012
3. Fort Fransisco De Pupo Marker, looking west along State Route 16
Fort Fransisco De Pupo Marker along the St. Johns River image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, December 2, 2012
4. Fort Fransisco De Pupo Marker along the St. Johns River
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 570 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement