Frankfort in Franklin County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Dry Stone Masonry in Kentucky
The continuing construction of these fences serves as tribute to the skills of ethnic groups who practiced these building techniques. Early settlers of Scots-Irish origin built the first rock fences in Kentucky. Later, in the mid-1800’s, crews of itinerant Irish masons built many of the rock fences that bordered the newly created turnpikes of the Commonwealth. Following the Civil War, black freedmen took up the craft and became well-known rock fence builders. Today, the craft is alive and well, and the skills are transferring yet again to another generation.
The largest collection of rock fences is in central Kentucky. The diagram shows the counties with the most rock fences. Counties shown in red represent the highest concentration in the Inner Bluegrass area, while counties shown in blue represent areas with fewer concentrations.
The site map below shows the locations of dry-laid structures in this park. All
Erected by Kentucky Arts Council, the City of Frankfort’s Parks & Recreation Department, and the Dry Stone Conservancy.
Location. 38° 12.282′ N, 84° 52.691′ W. Marker is in Frankfort, Kentucky, in Franklin County. Marker can be reached from Wilkinson Boulevard (Route 421) north of West Plaza Connector Road (U.S. 127), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Located along the Riverview Trail in Kentucky River View Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 404 Wilkinson Blvd, Frankfort KY 40601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Hill Overlooking the Kentucky River (within shouting distance of this marker); Gone But Not Forgotten – Frankfort’s “Craw” Locks and Dams (about 300 feet away); Franks Ford, Fishtrap Island, and Craw (approx. 0.2 miles away); Amos Kendall (1789 - 1869) (approx. 0.3 miles away); Emily Thomas Tubman House (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Church of the Ascension (approx. 0.3 miles away); Garrard/Crittenden House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Frankfort.
Also see . . .
1. River View Park. (Submitted on December 31, 2012.)
2. Dry Stone Conservancy. (Submitted on December 31, 2012.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 258 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.