Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Princeton in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Twentieth-Century Changes

 
 
Twentieth-Century Changes Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, January 1, 2013
1. Twentieth-Century Changes Marker
Inscription.
After Bayard Stockton died in 1928, Robert Wood Johnson, head of Johnson & Johnson, rented Morven. He used it as a comfortable suburban retreat, keeping horses in the stable and adding recreational facilities. In 1939, he had plans drawn up for leveling the grounds and constructing a pool, pool house, and tennis court.

In 1945, Governor Walter E. Edge purchased Morven and, in 1954, deeded it to the State of New Jersey for use as a governorís mansion or museum. Many of the governors had large families, who enjoyed the many recreational amenities Johnson had provided.

The last governor to occupy Morven, Brendan Byrne, was a tennis enthusiast. During his tenure, tennis star Althea Gibson became a virtual resident pro at Morven, and she and Byrne played many friendly games on the Morven court.

Restoration of the pool house, pool, and carriage house is part of phase three of the restoration of the site.
 
Location. 40° 20.904′ N, 74° 40.036′ W. Marker is in Princeton, New Jersey, in Mercer County. Marker can be reached from Stockton Street (U.S. 206), on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is on the grounds of historic Morven Museum & Garden. Marker is in this post office area: Princeton NJ 08540, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8
Twentieth-Century Changes Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, January 1, 2013
2. Twentieth-Century Changes Marker
other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The West Wing (within shouting distance of this marker); The Colonial Revival Garden (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Wash House (about 300 feet away); The Kingís Highway (about 400 feet away); The Princeton Battle Monument (about 400 feet away); The House Front (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Princeton Battle Monument (about 500 feet away); Colonel John Haslet (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Princeton.
 
More about this marker. A photo on the right side of the marker depicts “Governor Brendan T. Byrne and Ethel Kennedy at Morven tennis tournament, 1982.”
 
Also see . . .  Morven Museum & Garden. (Submitted on January 1, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. Notable Places
 
Marker at Morven Gardens image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, January 1, 2013
3. Marker at Morven Gardens
Morven Stables image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, January 1, 2013
4. Morven Stables
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 184 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement