Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Memorial windows, frescoes, and other treasures of art have been added by parishioners. Great coastal hurricane of 1900 wrecked the 196-foot steeple, but it was restored. Penitential spirit was assured by having no heat in the church prior to 1914; no air-conditioning until the late 1930ís. Known as mother church of more than 50 parishes, Annunciation in a century has had 5 pastors: the Very Rev. Joseph Querat (1867-1878); the Very Rev. Thomas Hennessy (1879-1913); the Rt. Rev. Msgr. George Walsh (1934-1943); the Very Rev. Thomas Hogan (1934-1943); the Rt. Rev. Msgr. Anton J. Frank (since 1943) an ordinant of this church.
One of great occasions in this edifice was 1953 installation of 37 knights and ladies of the Holy Sepulcher by James Francis Cardinal McIntyre.
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee
Location. 29° 45.396′ N, 95° 21.445′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Crawford Street and Texas Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Crawford Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1618 Texas Avenue, Houston TX 77002, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Annunciation Church (here, next to this marker); Daughters of the Republic of Texas (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Old Houston Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Harris County (approx. 0.3 miles away); Harris County 1910 Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pillot Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); First White House of the Republic of Texas (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gulf Building (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Houston.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 217 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.