“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Collinsville in DeKalb County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)

Fires and Floods

Fires and Floods Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, January 4, 2013
1. Fires and Floods Marker
Inscription. Collinsville burned twice. On December 24, 1884, the Collinsville Depot, Hall-Mackey Store and other businesses were destroyed. Flames again swept the town on February 2, 1900, damaging and destroying businesses and homes including: B.A. Nowlin store (where the fire began), J.W. Collins Grocery, Morris & Morris Music House, The Oliver Hotel, Postmaster J.H. Collins residence, Hallís Dry Goods Co., I.Q. Melton, Nicholson & McWhorter building, R.L. Wright, Jeweler, Boston Killian Furniture and Livery, J.L. Ford Harness and Shoemaker, J.E. Smith building, A.B. Tidmore building, G.W. Roberts Warehouse, R.A. Burt Livery, W.H. Appleton residence, Charles Roberts Groceries, G.W. Keener General Merchandise, J.W. Lackey building, W.A. Wilbanks General Merchandise, Collinsville Post Office, and Dr. J.A. Hall, Dentist. Collinsville rebuilt after both fires.

Location was a major factor in mid-nineteenth century growth of Collinsville. The plush valley, once home of the Cherokee, was situated on a well established trade route from Rome to Gunterís Landing and from Tuscaloosa to Rossís Landing. The Town suffered as it was inundated annually with flood waters from heavy rains that rushed down Lookout Mountain causing Little Wills Creek to overflow onto Main Street and into businesses and houses as well as Collinsville
Fires and Floods Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, January 4, 2013
2. Fires and Floods Marker
School. Flood waters frequently peeked at 30 inches causing considerable loss to those in the creek area. This dire situation continued until 1939 when the U.S. Congress-approved flood control project was completed.

The Town of Collinsville was incorporated May 5, 1887. James C. Tiner was elected as the first mayor and James Coker, Therlin M. Fearing, T.G. Mackey, B.H. Nicholson and Bonner Heard as alderman.

Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Collinsville.
Location. 34° 15.82′ N, 85° 51.606′ W. Marker is in Collinsville, Alabama, in DeKalb County. Marker is on East Main Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Located near the former Alabama Great Southern tracks where they cross East Main Street. Marker is in this post office area: Collinsville AL 35961, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Collinsville Historic District (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Indian Mound, Inn, and Church Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Town of Crossville (approx. 7.8 miles away); Town of Geraldine: Home of the Bulldogs (approx. 10.8 miles away); Turkey Town Monument

Fires and Floods Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, January 4, 2013
3. Fires and Floods Marker
(approx. 14.2 miles away); Cherokee Indian Removal (approx. 14.5 miles away); Alabama (approx. 14.8 miles away); Wills Town Mission (approx. 14.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Collinsville.
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 250 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement