Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jefferson City in Cole County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Missouri Petroleum Marketers and Convenience Store Association

 
 
Missouri Petroleum Marketers and Convenience Store Association Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., January 22, 2012
1. Missouri Petroleum Marketers and Convenience Store Association Marker
Inscription.

On February 20, 1823, the U.S. government granted the land on which this building stands to the State of Missouri "for the purpose of fixing their seat of government thereon." The land was subsequently divided into 40 town lots, the first sale of which took place in May 1823. This site, originally described as fronting "Madison and Main Streets" (Main Street was later renamed Capitol Avenue), was sold to David Sleator on July 25, 1825, for $133.00. In 1846, this building, one of Jefferson City's oldest brick buildings, was erected by Reuben Garnett, a Kentucky brick mason. On July 11, 1851, this building was sold to Calvin Gunn, first Missouri State Printer and fifth Mayor of Jefferson City. This building was purchased by the Knights of Columbus in 1908 and was part of an urban renewal project in the 1960's before it was owned by the Missouri Automobile Dealers Association from January 1971 until July 1996. On July 15, 1996, the Missouri Petroleum Marketers and Convenience Store Association (MPCA) purchased this building which currently serves as MPCA headquarters.
 
Location. 38° 34.625′ N, 92° 10.185′ W. Marker is in Jefferson City, Missouri, in Cole County. Marker is at the intersection of Madison Street and Capitol Avenue, on the right when
Missouri Petroleum Marketers and Convenience Store Association Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., January 22, 2012
2. Missouri Petroleum Marketers and Convenience Store Association Building and Marker
traveling north on Madison Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 205 East Capitol Avenue, Jefferson City MO 65101, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Missouri Governor's Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); Lewis and Clark Expedition (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Exchange Bank (about 600 feet away); The Exchange National Bank Building (about 600 feet away); Jefferson City Greenway: (about 600 feet away); Monroe House (about 600 feet away); The Tennessee House (about 700 feet away); The Missouri River Valley as a Transportation Corridor (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Jefferson City.
 
Also see . . .
1. Historic Jefferson City, Missouri. (Submitted on January 5, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. History/Heritage of Jefferson City, Missouri. (Submitted on January 5, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Missouri Petroleum Marketers and Convenience Store Association. (Submitted on January 5, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkIndustry & CommerceMan-Made FeaturesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 267 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement