Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Sharp Street Memorial Church

 
 
Sharp Street Memorial Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, March 15, 2008
1. Sharp Street Memorial Church Marker
Inscription. Named in honor of its original location, Sharp Street Memorial United Methodist Church descends from the first black congregation in Baltimore. In 1797, blacks gatehred at 112-116 Sharp Street, where the Maryland Society for the Abolition of Slavery had opened the Baltimore African Academy, the city's first prominent day school for blacks. The Society later abandoned this proejct and sold the lot and building in 1802 to the black congregation, which then built a churhc on the property.

The church quickly became a center of the black community. There people gathered not only to worship, but also to discuss the abolitionist and African colonization movements, to raise money to purchase the freedom of slaves, to hear their advocates speak, and to receive schooling.

In 1846, the church hosted the first regional conference for black methodists, which resulted in the first appointment of black pastors and the creation of a black governing board. From 1867 until 1872, the Centenary Biblical Institute (now Morgan State University) held classes there.

Following its congregation into northwest Baltimore, the church erected the present building designed by Alphonsus Bieler in 1898. In 1921, Arthur M. Segoin, a black architect, designed the adjacent Community House, the first of its kind in Baltimore.
 
Erected by
Marker location image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, March 15, 2008
2. Marker location
the City of Baltimore, Democratic Women, sponsor, Sharp Street Church, sponsor and William Donald Schaefer, Mayor.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers marker series.
 
Location. 39° 18.045′ N, 76° 37.696′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is at the intersection of Dolphin Street and Etting Street, on the right when traveling south on Dolphin Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1206 Etting Street, Baltimore MD 21217, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In Memory of Dr. Lillie May Jackson (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line but has been reported missing); Bethel A.M.E. Church (about 500 feet away); Henry Highland Garnet Park (about 700 feet away); William Stewart Halsted, M.D. (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Sydney Thayer, M.D. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Woodrow Wilson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Daniel Coit Gilman (approx. mile away); Francis Scott Key (approx. mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Baltimore.
 
More about this marker. The marker features an illustration of the old church, dated 1860.
 
Also see . . .
1. Description from the Maryland Historical Trust
Sharp Street Memorial Church image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, March 15, 2008
3. Sharp Street Memorial Church
. Details the history of this National Register of Historic Places listed property. (Submitted on March 15, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.) 

2. Church website. (Submitted on March 15, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
 
Categories. African AmericansChurches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,470 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement