Salem Maritime National Historical Site
—National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
Merchant and fleet-owner Richard Derby built the house in 1762 as a wedding present for his son, Elias Hasket Derby. Here, between 1762 and 1782, Elias and his wife, Elizabeth, raised a family of seven children.
After the Revolutionary War, Derby’s trading ships were among the first to reach the Orient. Derby sold this house in 1796, and in succeeding years it became the home of prominent sea captains.
For information on tours of the house, contact a park ranger at the orientation center in the Central Wharf Warehouse.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 42° 31.296′ N, 70° 53.208′ W. Marker is in Salem, Massachusetts, in Essex County. Marker is on Derby Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 168 Derby Street, Salem MA 01970, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Privateer Warehouse (here, next to this marker); The Custom House (within shouting distance of this marker); Derby Wharf (within shouting distance of this
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 253 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.