Salem Maritime National Historical Site
Although the “New House,” as Derby called it, was nearly completed in 1782, the Derbyís never moved in, preferring a mansion in uptown Salem away from the waterfront. Until Derbyís death in 1799, he used the New House as a warehouse. Among the goods stored here undoubtedly, were prizes captured from the British by Derbyís privateers.
When Derbyís heirs sold the “warehouse” in 1800, 1/3 of the original structure was dismantled. The following year Benjamin Hawkes, a Salem shipbuilder, remodeled it to resemble its present appearance. Today itís known as the “Hawkes House” and is being preserved as a part of the Salem Maritime National Historic Site. The house is not open to the public.
----(upper right hand corner of marker) “On this land in 1780 Mr. Derby raised a Great House which he never finishedÖIt has now stood 20 years as a monument of folly.” The Diary of William Bentley, D.D.-September 20, 1800.
----(below the photo of the ship) Derbyís privateers pursued and captured British merchant ships on the high seas during
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 42° 31.295′ N, 70° 53.211′ W. Marker is in Salem, Massachusetts, in Essex County. Marker is on Derby Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salem MA 01970, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Derby House (here, next to this marker); The Custom House (within shouting distance of this marker); Derby Wharf (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Derby Wharf (within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing); Brookhouse Home for Aged Women (within shouting distance of this marker); Wharves in the Late 1800s (within shouting distance of this marker); Salem Maritime National Historic Site (within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing); Central Wharf (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in Salem.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 199 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.