Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
—University of South Carolina Historic District —
First building completed
originally known as South,
Named for John Rutledge.
Burned and rebuilt 1855.
Library first housed here.
Clariosophic and Euphradian
Literary Societies held first
meetings in chapel. Used as
hospital during Civil War.
East wing and chapel occupied
by Colonel Green and staff
of Union Army, 1865. House of
Representatives held sittings
in chapel 1865-1868.
From plans by Robert Mills
and Richard Clarke Architects.
Blue Key Fraternity
Location. 33° 59.883′ N, 81° 1.658′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker can be reached from Sumter Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located University South Carolina Campus in the "Horseshoe" southside; entrance from Sumter Street. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Rutledge College (here, next to this marker); President's House (within shouting distance Site of Original President's House 1807 (within shouting distance of this marker); Gibbes Green (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); McCutchen House (about 400 feet away); Site where James Dickey Wrote Deliverance (about 400 feet away); Legare College (about 500 feet away); Mexican Border and World War Memorial (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbia.
Regarding Rutledge College. National Register of Historic Places:
Old Campus District, University of South Carolina (added 1970 - - #70000596)
Bounded by Pendleton, Sumter, Pickens, and Green Sts. , Columbia
♦ Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Mills,Robert, et al.
♦ Architectural Style: Early Republic
♦ Area of Significance: Education, Architecture
♦ Period of Significance: 1850-1874, 1825-1849, 1800-1824
♦ Owner: State
♦ Historic Function: Education, Recreation And Culture
♦ Historic Sub-function:
♦ Current Function: Education, Recreation And Culture
♦ Current Sub-function: College, Monument/Marker
(University of South Carolina Historic District) Chartered in 1801 as South Carolina College, opened 1805, and re-chartered as University of South Carolina in 1865, the institution reflects the ambitions and fortunes of the state. A tree-shaded quadrangle centers the Old Campus District. The buildings bordering the quadrangle present balanced grouping and harmony of design, austere simplicity of early Republican architecture. A brick wall erected in 1835 surrounds them. Landmarks include Rutledge College (ca. 1805) and Maxcy Monument (ca. 1827), both designed by Robert Mills; DeSaussure College (1809), designed by Edward Clark; South Caroliniana Library (ca.1840), the oldest separate college library building in the United States; and the Gymnasium, designed by Jacob Graves in 1855 as a chapel. There are over twenty other contributing campus institutional buildings and numerous contributing landscape features. Listed in the National Register June 5, 1970. ( South Carolina Department of Archives and History)
Robert Mills, the nation's first federal architect and the designer of the Washington Monument, greatly influenced the architecture of South Carolina College. Mills was involved in the design of Rutledge, South Caroliniana Library, and Maxcy Monument in the center of the Horseshoe, named for the first president of the college, Jonathan Maxcy. The South Caroliniana Library was the first freestanding college library building in the nation when it was completed in 1840.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 247 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.