Redwood City in San Mateo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Path of History
This was one of two blocks of land in the town site survey donated for public use by Mezes. The other piece of land at Warren and Standish streets, now called Mezes Park, is still in use as Mezes had originally intended. These blocks are believed to be the first property in California donated for public use and recreation.
Beginning with the construction of the Hall of Justice and Records in 1958, the entire block has been developed in the years following as part of the San Mateo County Government Center administrative and court complex.
Erected by Redwood Historic Resources Advisory Committee.
Location. 37° 29.245′ N, 122° 13.805′ W. Marker is in Redwood City, California, in San Mateo County. Marker is at the intersection of Hamilton Street and Marshall Street on Hamilton Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named California Square (within shouting distance of this marker); "Old" San Mateo County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Lathrop House (within shouting distance of this marker); Lathrop-Connor-Mansfield House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Old San Mateo County Courthouse (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); New Sequoia/Fox Theatre (about 400 feet away); Fox Theater (about 400 feet away); Former Site of Sequoia High School (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Redwood City.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 261 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.