Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grahamstown, Eastern Cape, South Africa
 

The Yellow House

 
 
The Yellow House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jay van Zyl, January 17, 2013
1. The Yellow House Marker
Inscription. The erection of this building - the oldest in this town, was commenced in 1813 or 1814. It served as a gaol until 1824. Later it became the Grahamstown Public School, and subsequently the first public library (1842 - 1863). The north wall was taken as the line of the High Street when the town was laid out in 1814.
 
Erected by Historical Monument Commission.
 
Location. 33° 18.75′ S, 26° 31.383′ E. Marker is in Grahamstown, Eastern Cape. Marker is on High Street, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grahamstown, Eastern Cape 6139, South Africa.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 14 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Drostdy Gateway (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Schönland Building (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Old Provost (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Bible (approx. 2.8 kilometers away); Andrew Geddes Bain, Road Builder and Geologist (approx. 13.9 kilometers away).
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
 
The Yellow House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jay van Zyl, January 17, 2013
2. The Yellow House and Marker
The Yellow House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jay van Zyl, January 17, 2013
3. The Yellow House Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jay van Zyl of Grahamstown, Eastern Cape. This page has been viewed 377 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Jay van Zyl of Grahamstown, Eastern Cape. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement