Nappanee in Elkhart County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Nappanee platted 1874 on Baltimore & Ohio Railroad line. Sawmill opened 1873 produced ties for railroad construction. Coppes and Mutschler brothers were partners in lumber, milling, and furniture business, 1902-1913, becoming significant part of local furniture industry. By 1919, Indiana's furniture industry ranked fourth in nation.
As separate companies, Coppes focused on kitchen cabinets and sideboards, the sawmill and flour mill, and Mutschler on manufactured tables and porcelain top kitchen tables. Coppes and Mutschler families continued to manage the companies, adapting to changing times. In 1969, outside corporations acquired both companies, ending local ownership.
Erected 2005 by Indiana Historical Bureau, City of Nappanee, Nappanee Historic Preservation Commission, Nappanee Public Library, Elkhart County Historical Society, Nappanee, E. Newcomer and Son Jewelers. (Marker Number 20.2005.2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 41° 26.551′ N, 85° 59.739′ W. Marker is in Nappanee, Indiana, in Elkhart County. Marker is at the intersection of E. Market Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 E. Market Street, Nappanee IN 46550, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nappanee Cartoonists (approx. 0.3 miles away); Nappanee World Wars Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Stahly - Nissley - Kuhns Farm (approx. 1.3 miles away); Bull Cemetery (approx. 4.7 miles away); Brumbaugh Cemetery (approx. 4.8 miles away); Sandridge Cemetery (approx. 7.9 miles away); Milford World War I Veterans (approx. 8.1 miles away); Milford World Wars Honor Roll (approx. 8.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Nappanee.
More about this marker. The marker was previously located across E. Market Street from the Coppes Bros. Planing Mill building. It was located at 452 E. Market Street (Coordinates: 41.442732,-85.996496) in front of a closed service station. The marker was moved to its present location in September 2012 as part of the rehabilitation efforts on the Coppes Commons commercial development.
Also see . . .
1. IHB Annotations. The Indiana Historical Bureau provides annotations for the text of the marker on their website. (Submitted on February 6, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.)
2. The History of Coppes. From the Coppes Commons website. (Submitted on October 21, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,151 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.