The Woodlands-Historic Mansion, Cemetery and Landscape
William Hamilton's Schuylkill River Residence & Pleasure Gardens
1775-William Hamilton is born to Andrew Hamilton II, & Mary Till; 1747-Andrew Hamilton dies; 1766-William inherits 300 acres on the west bank of the Schuylkill; 1767-Construction of a Georgian residence with a portico & garden commences; 1776-Declaration of Independence signed in Philadelphia; 1778-British Occupation of Philadelphia; 1784-Hamilton visits England; 1786-Return to the Woodlands & rebuilding of the mansion & gardens; 1792-Carriage house and stable and gate lodges completed; 1813-William Hamilton dies.
Before the development of Woodlands Cemetery in 1840, 600 acres along the Schuylkill River from Market Street to 42nd were owned by William Hamilton, grandson of the noted lawyer and Pennsylvania statesman, Andrew Hamilton. William inherited 300 acres of this land from his grandfather through his father in1766 when he turned 21. He expanded his holdings until his death in 1813. William received a classical education at what became the University of Pennsylvania (then located at 4th Street, south of Arch) and through his family
Upon his return Hamilton rebuilt his house and gardens into the grandest neoclassical “country scat” and pleasure gardens known in America at that time. British design aesthetics influenced him to architecturally integrate new gate houses, a carriage house and stable, and an expanded mansion and greenhouse into a landscape plan. The architecture was influenced by shapes such as ovals, arches, and classical details. The gardens were developed and expanded for pleasure and included a kitchen garden. Thomas Jefferson, who had visited Hamilton’s gardens, wrote in 1806 that they were “the only rival which I have known in America to what may be seen in England.”
Today only Hamilton’s mansion and carriage house and stable stand, but part of the main roadway from the gate house to the mansion remains within
Location. 39° 56.73′ N, 75° 12.228′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. Marker can be reached from Woodland Avenue. Click for map. The marker is located within Woodlawn Cemetery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4000 Woodland Avenue, Philadelphia PA 19104, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Commodore David Porter (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Woodlands (approx. ¼ mile away); Paul Philippe Cret (approx. ¼ mile away); Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and Science (approx. 0.3 miles away); Herman Herzog (approx. 0.4 miles away); Philadelphia General Hospital (approx. half a mile away); The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Penn Relays (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Philadelphia.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 305 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.