Woodbridge in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Not long after Woodbridge Township was founded in 1669, the Independent Meeting House was built nearby for nondenominational services. Records show that Anglican services were first held there in 1698. In 1710, it was announced that the Independent Meeting House would become a Presbyterian Church. Those who wished to maintain the Anglican form of worship left in protest, and decided to erect their own building at the present location of Trinity Church. Until it was completed in 1713, the home of Benjamin Dunham was used for Anglican services. At about the same time, Trinity Churchyard was first used as a burial place for the parish.
In 1756, a second building was constructed on the site, replacing the 1713 structure. One hundred and two years later, in 1858, a defective woodstove set fire to the wooden clapboard church and it burned to the ground. It was replaced by a more spacious brick building, and in 1861, the present church structure was consecrated. In 1872, the former home of Benjamin Dunham was purchased to serve as the Trinity Rectory (constructed in 1670 by Jonathan Dunham, who owned the first grist mill in New Jersey, located near to this site). Enlarged and modernized in 1872, the historic fabric of the Dunham house exterior remains.
This Historic Marker is a gift to the people of Woodbridge from the Middlesex
Erected 2009 by Middlesex County Board of Chosen Freeholders.
Location. 40° 33.803′ N, 74° 16.396′ W. Marker is in Woodbridge, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is on Rahway Avenue north of Trinity Lane when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Woodbridge NJ 07095, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Trinity Episcopal Church (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Trinity Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Revolutionary Soldiers and Patriots of Woodbridge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); Aaron Dunn Homestead/Jost-Keating House (about 600 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Woodbridge (about 600 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Woodbridge.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 240 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.