Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of Original President's House 1807
( University of South Carolina )
On this spot stood the original President's House completed in 1807. The house served as the residence of every University president from Johnathan Maxcy to William S. Currell. It was the site of a variety of University and national events including the 1909 visit of U.S. President William Howard Taft. In 1922, the house was converted into offices and in the 1930s became known as the Extension Building. A collapsed roof in 1937 prompted abandonment of the building. It was finally demolished in 1939 to make way for McKissick Library, now McKissick Museum built directly behind the old house. The front corners of the house are indicated with brass markers.
Location. 33° 59.916′ N, 81° 1.649′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Sumter Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located University of South Carolina Campus in the "Horseshoe" east-side; entrance from Sumter Street. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rutledge College (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Rutledge College (within shouting distance of this marker); Gibbes Green (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); President's House (about 400 feet away); McCutchen House (about 400 feet away); Site where James Dickey Wrote Deliverance (about 400 feet away); Legare College (about 600 feet away); Mexican Border and World War Memorial (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbia.
Also see . . . Presidentís House at the University of South Carolina ( Both first and present). The First Presidentís House That house was not used as a presidential residence after 1922, but later occupants included Extension Services and the Registrar. The house fell into disrepair and was demolished in 1940. That site was used for a new University library—renamed McKissick in 1945—that today is home to the Universityís Visitor Center and museum. (Submitted on January 20, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 246 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.