Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Houston Light Guard

 
 
Houston Light Guard Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, January 20, 2013
1. Houston Light Guard Marker
Inscription. Organized as a Texas Militia unit on April 21, 1873, the Houston Light Guard originally participated in parades, ceremonies, and competitive drills, and served as guard of honor for visiting dignitaries. The first commander was Capt. Edwin Fairfax Gray (1829-1884), then the city engineer of Houston. During the 1880s The Guard, dressed in uniforms of red coats and red-plumed helmets, became known as a leader in drill competitions throughout the United States. Prize money funded their first armory in 1891.

In 1898 The Guard was activated for service with United States troops in the Spanish-American War. After participating in the punitive expedition against Mexico, 1916-1917, the unit joined U. S. forces fighting in Europe during World War I.

The Guard built a new armory at this site in 1925 and deeded it to the State of Texas in 1939. The next year the unit was again activated and during World War II saw action in seven campaigns in Africa and Europe. As part of the 36th Infantry Division, Guard members were among the first American troops in Europe during the war. Now part of the National Guard, the Houston Light Guard represents a proud heritage of distinguished military service.
 
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10696.)
 
Marker series.
Houston Light Guard Armory image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, January 20, 2013
2. Houston Light Guard Armory
Marker can be seen to the right of the main entrance and red steps
This marker is included in the Buffalo Soldiers marker series.
 
Location. 29° 44.154′ N, 95° 22.676′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Caroline Street and Alabama Street, on the right when traveling south on Caroline Street. Click for map. Marker is on the right of the main entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3816 Caroline Street, Houston TX 77004, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Temple Beth Israel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Waldo Mansion (approx. half a mile away); Courtlandt Place (approx. 0.6 miles away); James L. Autry House (approx. 0.6 miles away); League of United Latin American Citizens, Council 60 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Houston Fire Station No. 7 (approx. 0.8 miles away); Clayton House (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Houston.
 
Regarding The Houston Light Guard. The Houston Light Guard Armory is now the home of the Buffalo Soldiers National Museum
 
Also see . . .
1. Houston Light Guard in The Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on January 22, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. Buffalo Soldiers National Museum. (Submitted on January 23, 2013.)
 
Categories. African AmericansWar, Spanish-AmericanWar, World IWar, World II
 
Houston Light Guard Engraving image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, January 20, 2013
3. Houston Light Guard Engraving
Houston Light Guard Armory Now Serves as the Buffalo Soldiers National Museum image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, January 20, 2013
4. Houston Light Guard Armory Now Serves as the Buffalo Soldiers National Museum
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 371 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement