Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

1781 Friends Meeting House

 
 
1781 Friends Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, March 16, 2008
1. 1781 Friends Meeting House Marker
Inscription. The Friends Meeting House is the oldest religious building in Baltimore. In 1781, the Patapsco Friends Meeting, formerly located on Harford Road two miles north of the Inner Harbor, moved to this site. In 1784 a group of Quakers established a school here, which "provided guarded education for their children." The school eventually became the Friends School of Baltimore.

By the mid eighteenth century the Society of Friends exerted a strong influence socially, politically, and economically in Baltimore. Among the influential Baltimore Quakers who worshipped at this site were Philip E. Thomas (first President of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad) Johns Hopkins, Moses Sheppard (philanthropist) and the Ellicott family (who founded Ellicott City). Meeting members Elisha Tyson, Robert Townsend, and James Carey organized the Baltimore Abolition Society in 1789. In 1796, they were successful in overturning a 1753 law that forbade the freeing of slaves (manumisson) at the time of their owners' death. On occasion, the Baltimore Abolition Society was represented in court by Francis Scott Key. By the first decade of the nineteenth Century, Baltimore Quakers were deeply involved in the Committee of Indian Affairs, which advocated and at times litigated on behalf of the rights of Native Americans.
 
Erected by
Friends Meeting House image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, March 16, 2008
2. Friends Meeting House
Marker is to the left of the front door.
the City of Baltimore, William Donald Schaefer, mayor, rededicated 2005 by Martin O'Malley, mayor.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers marker series.
 
Location. 39° 17.51′ N, 76° 36.075′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is at the intersection of North Asiquith Street and East Fayette Street, on the right when traveling north on North Asiquith Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1201 East Fayette Street, Baltimore MD 21202, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. McKim Free School (within shouting distance of this marker); On to Yorktown (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lloyd Street Synagogue (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Lloyd Street Synagogue (about 500 feet away); 1029 East Baltimore Street (about 500 feet away); 1017 - 1021 East Baltimore Street (about 600 feet away); B'nai Israel Synagogue (about 700 feet away); Joe Gans and the Goldfield Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Baltimore.
 
Also see . . .  Description from the Maryland Historical Trust. (Submitted on March 16, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
 
Categories. Abolition & Underground RRChurches, Etc.Civil RightsNotable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
Friends Meeting House image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, March 16, 2008
3. Friends Meeting House
Elisha Tyson (1749-1824) image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 28, 2016
4. Elisha Tyson (1749-1824)
Close-up of image on marker
1781 Friends Meeting House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 28, 2016
5. 1781 Friends Meeting House
The Old Town Friends Meeting house has two doors on the south side one for men and one for women to enter the building.
Pastor Charles Dunn Jr. image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 28, 2016
6. Pastor Charles Dunn Jr.
The meetinghouse is currently used by the Freedom Missionary Community Church. Here Pastor Dunn stands in front of the partition that originally separated men from women during meetings.
Old Town Meeting House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 28, 2016
7. Old Town Meeting House
The oldest House of Worship in Baltimore
Society of Friends
1781

Restored 1967 by the City of Baltimore
Theodore R. McKeldin, Mayor
&
McKim Community Association, Inc.
Philip Myers, Chairman, Building Committee
This sign is stored inside the Meeting House building.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 3,309 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.   4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   7. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page was last revised on September 20, 2016.
Paid Advertisement