Pequannock Township in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Newark – Pompton Turnpike
On this road passed Washington, Lafayette, Rochambeau, Von Steuben, Wayne and other colonial officers and army units.
In the 1920’s as part of the state highway system it became Route 8, then Route 23. When the present Roue 23 was built the Turnpike reverted to the Main Street of the Township.
Rochambeau March Committee
of Pequannock Township
October 12, 1982
Erected 1982 by Rochambeau March Committee of Pequannock Township.
Location. 40° 57.873′ N, 74° 17.661′ W. Marker is in Pequannock Township, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is on Newark Pompton Turnpike, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is located on the Pequannock Township Municipal Building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 530 Newark Pompton Turnpike, Pompton Plains NJ 07444, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pompton Plains 9/11 Memorial (a few steps from this marker); First Reformed Church (within shouting Pompton Plains “Brick Schoolhouse” (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Giles Mandeville House (about 400 feet away); Mandeville Farm Encampment Site (approx. 0.3 miles away); Martin Berry House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Jesse Van Ness Farm (approx. 1.2 miles away); Morris Canal (approx. 1.3 miles away).
Categories. • Colonial Era • Roads & Vehicles • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 283 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.