Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hillsboro in Hill County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Katy Depot

 
 
Katy Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 14, 2012
1. Katy Depot Marker
Inscription. This depot was built to serve the Missouri-Kansas-Texas (Katy) Rail Line, which reached Hillsboro in 1881. Completed in 1902, the station features elements of the Eastlake, Victorian, and Prairie styles. Early MKT trains carried materials for the growing town and brought early residents and such notables as presidents Woodrow Wilson, William Taft, Calvin Coolidge, and Harry Truman. The building was moved here from the original site in 1978. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980
 
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2906.)
 
Location. 32° 0.758′ N, 97° 7.896′ W. Marker is in Hillsboro, Texas, in Hill County. Marker is on North Covington Street near Fancher Street, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hillsboro TX 76645, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hill County Jail (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hill County (about 600 feet away); Hill County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); Site of Old Lexington Village (about 600 feet away); Courthouse History
Katy Depot Markers image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 14, 2012
2. Katy Depot Markers
(upper plaque)
Entered In
The National Register
Of Historic Places
1979

and Official Texas Historical Commission Medallion (center)
(about 600 feet away); Hill County Confederate Memorial (about 700 feet away); Pioneer Bank Building (about 700 feet away); Bond's Alley (about 800 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Hillsboro.
 
Regarding Katy Depot. National Register of Historic Places:
Missouri-Kansas-Texas Company Railroad Station (added 1979 - - #79002978)
Also known as Katy Depot
Covington Street , Hillsboro
♦ Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Unknown
♦ Architectural Style: Other, Shingle Style, Prairie School
♦ Area of Significance: Transportation, Architecture
♦ Period of Significance: 1900-1924
♦ Owner: Local
♦ Historic Function: Transportation
♦ Historic Sub-function: Rail-Related
 
Also see . . .  Texas State Historical Association~The Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad (Katy). ...the first railroad to enter Texas from the north, began its corporate existence in 1865... (Submitted on February 5, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Katy Depot and Markers, now houses the Hillsboro Chamber of Commerce image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 14, 2012
3. Katy Depot and Markers, now houses the Hillsboro Chamber of Commerce
Katy Depot image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 14, 2012
4. Katy Depot
Hillsboro Katy Depot, old baggage wagon on display image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 14, 2012
5. Hillsboro Katy Depot, old baggage wagon on display
a Katy Caboose on display image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
6. a Katy Caboose on display
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 309 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   5, 6. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement