“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Old Harrisburg

Old Harrisburg Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, January 27, 2013
1. Old Harrisburg Marker
Inscription. Early Texas port and trading post. Site of state's first steam saw, grist mills and railroad terminal. Town founded, 1826, by John R. Harris, who was first settler in 1823. Became shipping center for early colonies, established when Texas was part of Mexico, with boats carrying cargo to and from Texas ports and points in the United States and Mexico.

Became the seat of government of the Republic of Texas, March 22-April 13, 1836, when David G. Burnet, President of the ad interim government and several of his cabinet resided near here in the home of Mrs. Jane Harris (site marked), widow of town founder. Here President Burnet adopted the flag for the Texas Navy. In 1835, local resident, Mrs. Sarah Dodson, had made here the first tri-color Lone Star flag.

General Santa Anna attacked the town with 750 Mexican soldiers on April 16 attempting to capture Burnet and his cabinet. The whole town was burned.

After Texas gained its independence at nearby San Jacinto, the town was rebuilt and again thrived.

The Buffalo Bayou, Brazos and Colorado, first railroad in Texas began here in 1852 and by the Civil War made the town a Confederate rail center.

Became a part of Houston, by annexation, in 1926.
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee.
Old Harrisburg Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, January 27, 2013
2. Old Harrisburg Marker
Texas State marker on the left Rotary Club marker on the right near the entrance
(Marker Number 10680.)
Location. 29° 42.971′ N, 95° 16.657′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Frio Street and Lawndale Street, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. The marker is only accessible from the parking lot off of Channelside or Frio. Marker is in this post office area: Houston TX 77012, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Old Harrisburg (here, next to this marker); Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado Railroad (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Lubbock Ranch (approx. 3.5 miles away); The Capture of Santa Anna (approx. 3.9 miles away); Safety Follows Wisdom (approx. 4.3 miles away); First Airplane Flight Over Texas (approx. 4.5 miles away); Blue Triangle Branch, Y.W.C.A. Building (approx. 5 miles away); Myers-Spalti Manufacturing Plant (approx. 5.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Houston.
More about this marker. There are two markers at this location with the same name. One erected by the State of Texas, the other by the Harrisburg Rotary Club
Also see . . .
1. History of Harrisburg in The Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on January 29, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. Wikipedia Article on Harrisburg. (Submitted on January 29, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 317 times since then and 95 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement