“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Old Harrisburg

Old Harrisburg Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, January 27, 2013
1. Old Harrisburg Marker
Inscription. The town was founded in 1836 by John Richardson Harris, a native of New York State and one of the "Old Three Hundred" Texas colonists. He died of yellow fever in 1829, while visiting in New Orleans. His wife, Jane Birdsall Harris, and the oldest of their four children, arrived in Harrisburg in 1833.

The Harris home was located three blocks north of this site. At her invitation, the government of The Republic of Texas, retreating before the advancing Mexican forces, made her home the Capitol of the Republic from March 22 until April 13, 1836. On April 16 a patrol of the Mexican Army burned the town, including the Harris home.

Following the victory at San Jacinto Mrs. Harris and her children rebuilt their home, and she lived there until her death in 1869. She is buried in the Glendale Cemetery, at the foot of East Magnolia Street.

Harrisburg prospered for a time, being the first railroad terminal in Texas as well as the head of navigation on Buffalo Bayou. The neighboring city grew rapidly, however, and in 1926 Harrisburg was annexed by the City of Houston.
Erected by the Rotary Club of Harrisburg
July, 1984

Erected 1984 by Rotary Club of Harrisburg.
Location. 29° 
Old Harrisburg Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans
2. Old Harrisburg Marker
Texas State marker on the left Rotary Club marker on the right near the entrance
42.975′ N, 95° 16.656′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is on Frio Street near Lawndale Street, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. The marker is only accessible from the parking lot off of Channelside or Frio. Marker is in this post office area: Houston TX 77012, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Old Harrisburg (here, next to this marker); Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado Railroad (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Lubbock Ranch (approx. 3.5 miles away); The Capture of Santa Anna (approx. 3.9 miles away); Safety Follows Wisdom (approx. 4.3 miles away); First Airplane Flight Over Texas (approx. 4.5 miles away); Blue Triangle Branch, Y.W.C.A. Building (approx. 5 miles away); Myers-Spalti Manufacturing Plant (approx. 5.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Houston.
More about this marker. There are two markers at this location with the same name. One erected by the State of Texas, the other by the Harrisburg Rotary Club
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia Article on Harrisburg. (Submitted on January 29, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. History of Harrisburg in The Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on January 29, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Categories. Settlements & SettlersWar, Texas Independence
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 347 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement