Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Vincent de Paul Church
Noted for the rare purity of Georgian architecture.
Cornerstone laid May 21, 1840 by Archbishop Eccleston and the bishops of the Fourth Provincial Council.
Dedicated by Archbishop Eccleston November 7, 1841.
Consecrated by Archbishop Gibbons March 25, 1879.
Second balcony for slaves removed 1873.
Fourteen bell carillon hung 1883.
Side balconies removed and altar baldachin erected 1885.
Restored and stained glass windows installed 1941.
Sanctuary renovated for communal liturgy 1972.
Named to the National Register of Historic Places of the United States for its historic and architectural value by the Secretary of the Interior 1974.
Location. 39° 17.481′ N, 76° 36.364′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on North Front Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 North Front Street, Baltimore MD 21202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named St. Vincent de Paul Church (a few steps from this marker); Phoenix Shot Tower (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church, Baltimore Baltimore Police Department (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); 9 North Front Street (about 400 feet away); War Memorial (about 700 feet away); Charles H. Dorsey, Jr. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Baltimore's Great Fire (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Baltimore.
Also see . . . St. Vincent de Paul Church website. (Submitted on March 16, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,356 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.