Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Peale's Baltimore Museum
Erected 1818 by Rembrandt Peale.
Gas lighting demonstrated june 13 1816.
Occupied as city hall 1830-1875.
Distinguished Maryland artist, naturalist and technologist founded the first gas company in America June 17, 1816.
This tablet commemorates
1816 - American Gas Centenary - 1916
Erected 1916 by Consolidated Gas Electric Light and Power Company of Baltimore.
Location. 39° 17.51′ N, 76° 36.613′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on North Holliday Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 225 North Holliday Street, Baltimore MD 21202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Peale Museum (here, next to this marker); The Municipal Museum of the City of Baltimore (here, next to this marker); Peale's Baltimore Museum - 1814 (here, next to this marker); The Harris Bus (a few steps from this marker); Zion Lutheran Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Hiltgunt Margret Zassenhaus Baltimore City Fire Department (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Boundary Lines of Baltimore Town (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Baltimore.
Also see . . .
1. Description of the building from the Maryland Historical Trust. (Submitted on March 16, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
2. Peale's Baltimore Museum. 225 N. Holliday Street, Baltimore, Baltimore City. National Register Description. (Submitted on October 4, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Notable Events • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,406 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.