Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Monterey in Monterey County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The Custom House

 
 
The Custom House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, January 29, 2013
1. The Custom House Marker
Captions:
July 7, 1846 – Commodore John Drake Sloat claimed California for the United States of America. (left); The items displayed inside represent a typical cargo of the 1830s and 1840s. (top, center); Hides were traded to the incoming sailing ships for goods such as ironware and crockery. (bottom, center); Custom duties collected from foreign trading vessels were an important source of income for the Mexican government. (right).
Inscription. The Custom House is the oldest government building in California. From 1822 through 1846, Monterey was both the capital city and primary port of entry for Alta California. Cargos of “everything under the sun” were brought ashore and assessed at the Custom House.

On July 7, 1846, during the Mexican-American War, U.S. military forces raised the “Stars and Stripes” at the Custom House, marking the end of the Mexican era and the beginning of the American era in California.

The building was used for customs operations by the American government until 1858. Today the Custom House looks much as it did when it was a Mexican government facility (1822-1846).

The Custom House was named State Historic Landmark #1 on June 1, 1932.
 
Erected by Monterey State Historic Park.
 
Location. 36° 36.197′ N, 121° 53.603′ W. Marker is in Monterey, California, in Monterey County. Marker can be reached from Monterey Peninsula Recreational Trail. Click for map. The old Custom House is located just off the Monterey Peninsula Recreational Trail near the Old Fisherman's Wharf. Marker is in this post office area: Monterey CA 93940, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance
The Custom House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, January 29, 2013
2. The Custom House and Marker
of this marker. A different marker also named Custom House (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Custom House (a few steps from this marker); Monterey Custom House (a few steps from this marker); Site of Original Flagstaff (within shouting distance of this marker); Monterey Customhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Sloat's Landing (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Fisherman's Wharf (within shouting distance of this marker); Monterey Harbor (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Monterey.
 
Also see . . .  Monterey's Custom House. At one time during California's Mexican era the Monterey Custom House presided over Mexico's only port of entry on the Alta California coast. It was here that Commodore John Drake Sloat raised the American flag on July 7, 1846, claiming over 600,000 square miles of territory for the United States. The Custom House is California's first registered State Historic Landmark, and is the oldest public building on the west coast. (Submitted on February 6, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
 
Categories. GovernmentIndustry & CommerceLandmarksSettlements & Settlers
 
The Custom House image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, January 29, 2013
3. The Custom House
The Custom House image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, January 29, 2013
4. The Custom House
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 410 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement